Monday, April 6, 2009

More Poetry and a prayer


Max Ehrmann (1872-1945) was noted for his most famous Desiderata poem, which begins "Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons......" It's a lovely, long poem to inspire us to be the best human we can envision. He also wrote other poems, less well known, so I thought I'd add one here. Perhaps I love poetry so much because in a few short lines I can be reminded of who and how I want to be, and these uplift me so easily. Enjoy!

A Prayer

Let me do my work each day; and if the
darkened hours of despair
overcome me, may I not forget the strength
that comforted me
in the desolation of other times.

May I still remember the bright hours that
found me walking over

the silent hills of my childhood, or dreaming
on the margin of a quiet
river, when a light glowed within me, and
I promised my early God
to have courage amid the tempests of the
changing years.

Spare me from bitterness and from the
sharp passions of unguarded
moments. May I not forget that poverty
and
riches are of the spirit.
Though the world knows me not, may my
thoughts and actions be
such as shall keep me friendly with myself.

Lift up my eyes from the earth, and let me not
forget the uses of the
stars. Forbid that I should judge others lest
I condemn myself.
Let me not follow the clamor of the world,
but walk calmly in my path.

Give me a few friends who will love me for what
I am; and keep ever
burning before my vagrant steps the kindly
light of hope.

And though age and infirmity overtake me,

and I come not within
sight of the castle of my dreams, teach me

still to be thankful for
life, and for time's olden memories that are good

and sweet; and
may the evening's twilight find me gentle still.



Years ago, when I facilitated Artist's Way groups, we had an exercise where we would be silent, listening inward, and write our deepest, most heartfelt prayers. That was a very powerful process for everyone, and most would copy them onto lovely paper and frame them to be daily reminders.
I know in our busy world, we don't take time to really put into words our deepest wishes, but it is so worth the time, because putting words onto paper is a powerful affirmation.
During this holy week before Easter, perhaps it would be a wonderful thing to think about.
Maybe if I ever get courageous, I'll print my own prayers here one day. Until then, keep praying.
Love to all.





1 comment:

baodad said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful poem. It has some of the similar wisdom of the "Desiderata" one. I like his perception about "unguarded moments." I try not to be off-guard, but I'm not sure it's possible to be on guard all the time...

XOXO!