Friday, August 29, 2008

Why is it so hard to relax?
I've been going to an aerobics class (believe it!). Of course, you don't know that it's for senior citizens and I'm the youngest one there...the oldest being 93, who comes with her 72 yr. old daughter. I'm amazed at the agility, fortitude, and aliveness of this group of 25-30 people. The instructor is my age, has been teaching aerobics there for over 25 years, probably longer, and some of the women have been going that long. Isn't that amazing?
Now, coming from a yoga background, where the most important pose is the corpse pose, or relaxation, or savasana, I look forward to the end, when we can stretch out on our mat with the cool, damp, essential oil-infused washcloth the teacher provides. I put it over my eyes and breathe deeply. After two breaths (I'm not kidding or exaggerating) I feel the air around me stir, hear everyone talking, look around the room, and everyone is packed up and leaving. With the opportunity to do nothing but stay and breathe, which is such a gift, why is it people are so uncomfortable letting go, so eager to be one their way? I'm sure these octogenarians don't have to run off to pick kids up at day care, or fix breakfast for their husbands, or even go shopping at Nordstroms. Yesterday I determined I would complete 10 breaths before I got up. The teacher was the only one left in the room, and she had her stuff all packed up.
What amazes me most about all of this, is that these aerobics classes are full, while my yoga classes were sparcely attended. Relaxation is neither valued nor wanted, but everyone needs it. Being quiet, breathing, listening inward, feeling sensations in the body, noticing the wanderings of the mind are all such gifts. May we all have a moment to just BE.
xoxox

2 comments:

Allison Watkins said...

It just occurred to me that in my life when I take time to relax I feel like I am being judged as lazy. There is always an abundance of things to be accomplished, just sometimes I can't do one more thing. When I sit down to relax instead of feeling like people think... "wow she deserves a minute to relax after the day she's had. I feel like... why aren't the dishes clean and the laundry folded?" Just something you made me think about. Well balanced people only seem rewarded in the Olympics on the Balance beam. The rest of us never get a gold medal for being in tune and relaxed. Kind of a crazy capitalistic, race to the top that doesn't really exist society. We are influenced to just get more and have more, not relax and enjoy what we have.

Marie aka Grams said...

To Sis,
Thanks for the comment. You are absolutely right, and have added another dimension to the blog. One of these soon days, I'll comment on guilt. And scarcity. And balance.