Sunday, May 10, 2009

Life is a Verb


Several weeks ago, Sarah posted a book review on her blog. It was a self-help book, one kind she says she never reads. Well, if you know me, you know that I've spent 30 years reading self-help books. Call me crazy, it would probably be true, but I always felt I needed to know more about the world, how it works, how to have successful relationships, how to see the world through eyes that might find kindness, compassion, empathy, acceptance and love. Isn't that what everyone wants? Maybe like the David Wilcox song, I had a hole in my cup that holds love....or probably more correctly, withholds love. I kept thinking everyone else knew something I didn't, and if I could just figure out what it was, the "Secret - Of - Happiness" would be mine. Not that I wasn't happy; I think I've been an eternal optimist, or at least very naive. This is a long introduction to the topic for today. THE BOOK.

LIFE IS A VERB, by Patti Digh (ironically pronounced "Die")
37 Days to Wake up, Be Mindful, and Live Intentionally

This is the book I would have written, if I could write a book. This is what I have wanted to teach my children, what I want my grandchildren to know. It is full of lovely quotes and poems (most of which I have already collected through the years), anecdotes, fresh ways to look at the world, and mostly it affirms Life in a big way. I can read two pages a day if I want, and my heart opens wide. I'm a better person for it. It is funny, poignant, provocative, heart-warming and inspiring.
The author lives in Asheville, NC. and speaks internationally, teaching these principles to large organizations. She is mother to two daughters, one a teenager, one a toddler, and we see life through her eyes as a mother, as well as life through the eyes of her children. The world is a better place because of her life, teachings, commitment and insight.
When I used to recommend books, I would say: "This is one I would want if I were stranded on a desert island." However, this book would not be needed if I were stranded; it is absolutely essential for navigating the sea of humanity we live among every day. I checked it out of the library, have renewed it, and now will be buying my own copy. Check it out here. Even if you read two pages, your life will be better for it. Thank you, Patti. (Her website here, which links to her blog containing many of the essays in the book.)
And love to all.

No comments: